Monday, February 15, 2016

Leonardo Ninja Turtle Valentine Box




My younger son is addicted to Ninja Turtles!  I used to love them as well, my favorite being Michelangelo, same with my husband. My son, being the goofball he is, I was surprised that his favorite wasn’t the same.  No way!  He likes the man in charge, or should I say “turtle”, Leonardo.  So I got started on his Valentine box.


For this box, the obvious step was to spray paint the box green.  Yes, you can use paper to cover the box, but I didn’t want the hassle of trying not to mess the paper up while gluing onto and cutting into the box.

   

Then, I cut a small hole into the top of the box to slip the Valentines in, then I cut a larger hole in the back, so he could get them out. 

Next, I used construction paper and cut out the mask.  Once I glued white paper to the back of the eye holes, I then glued it onto the box.  Then, I cut two more strips of equal width and glued them around the box to make it look like a continuous strip around his head. 

Now, because my son has brown eyes, it was obvious what color I had to make Leonardo’s.  I drew the eyes on with pencil, then colored them with markers.

**Helpful hint:  Before doing ANYTHING permanent such as using markers or paint, draw it out with pencil first!  Pencil can always be erased it you don’t like the look.**

Then it was time for the mouth.  I could have easily drawn a smile, but that’s Michelangelo.  Leonardo is so serious and tough.  Of course he had to have the scowl.  I drew it on a piece of paper, before cutting it out and gluing it to the box. 

Next, I grabbed some extra cardboard and cut out the shapes for the front of the shell, back of the shell, and the swords. 

Now, I needed to make the back shell hinged so it could cover up the large hole, but still come down when he needed to get out the Valentines.  Since cardboard is made up of layers, I scored the cardboard, but didn’t cut all the way through.  That way, it made it bendable. 



Time to break out my paints.

I painted the front shell, and made sure to shade in the ridges.  Then I painted the back shell and both sides of the two swords. 

Once everything was completely dry, I glued the front shell to the box.  Then, I glued just the bottom of the back shell to the box, so it could open and shut.  Then, I judged the height I wanted the swords showing in the front and glued them on top of the back shell.

Now for the cool part.  I used two sets of Velcro pieces and hot glued them to the box and the shell on each side so it would hold shut until he wanted it open.

 

**The picture shows a blemish in the middle because I started with one in the middle, but the hot glue wouldn’t stick to the tape on the box, so I had to take it off.**

Let’s not forget the brown straps that run across his back, front, and over his shoulder.  I just cut those out of cardstock paper and glued them on. 

Everything looked great, and my son was ecstatic to show off his box at school!



He’s already planning next years.  Right now it’s Spiderman, and I have SO many cool things popping up in my head on what I can do with that one.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see…

Until then…

Happy DIY-ing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment