Saturday, January 30, 2016

Dandilion String Art : A "How To" on a Detailed Design




Let’s talk about art, more specifically…  String Art! 


I’ve always been the artistic type with painting, sketching, designing, and etcetera.  However, I had never seen what could be done with just some wood, a hammer, nails, and string.

I started looking up a bunch of different tutorials, and let me tell you, I watched A LOT! In the end, this was the one that got it through to me how easy string art actually is.  String Art Heart 

I knew this technique would make a perfect gift, and I was on the hunt to find something for my mom.  There were so many different designs out there, but ultimately the one that caught my eye was the dandelion.

Dandelions are cool just the way they are, but when caught in the wind, the little pieces fly off and go who knows where, doing who knows what.  That’s exactly how I see my mom.  She is all about flying free and going to all different places now that her kids are grown and she’s retired.  This was the PERFECT design for her.

However, this was not your simple, bang the nails around a template, like what was shown in the video.  This took measurements, precise placement, and a thought out strategy.

I couldn’t find a FREE pattern for this design, so I made up my own and now I’m sharing how I did it, step by step. 


Materials Needed:
Wood plaque
Paper
Tape
Pensil
Drill
3/32 drill bit
Hammer
Nails
String








First, get your wood plaque.  You can have it any size you want your picture to be.

Next, place paper over the plaque until you’ve covered the entire thing, tape the pieces together if need be.  This will be your template.


Now, because I used pallets, I had an extra step.  I took a marker and marked all the places on the wood that nailing into it would cause an issue.  There was a hole in the middle where a piece of wood curved in more than others, a weak spot in the top corner, and let’s not forget the original pallet nails that were still in there. No two designs are ever the same with pallets because each plaque has its own strengths and weaknesses. 


Would it have been easier with a different type of wood? Yes, but there’s just something about old pallets that I can’t get enough of.  Plus, I think it gives it a rustic and homier feel.

It’s now time to draw out your design.  I used a plate, and traced it to get the outer ring of the dandelion.  Measuring to the center, I traced around a vitamin lid to make the inner circle. Using the same center marking, I took a compass and used it to make the remaining two circles that were closer to the outer ring.


Now dot up your design (with pencil, you never know when you have to adjust things).  Anywhere that you think a nail should go, put a clear dot. 

Outer ring  à  An even number, at equal distances apart (make sure to leave a gap for the flyaways)

Second ring in à  Put dots in between EVERY OTHER two dots on the outer ring

Third ring in  à  Put dots in between EVERY two dots on the outer ring.

Using a ruler, line up the center of the circles with an outside dot.  Then, put a dot where your ruler intersects with the inner ring.  Continue all the way around the circle.


For me: I had 22 dots on the outer ring, 11 dots on the second ring, 23 dots on the third ring, and 26 dots on the inner circle. 

Next, place two dots inside the inner circle, and three at the base of your stem.  Don’t forget the flyaways as well.

********************************Optional Step***********************************

Painting the Plaque

I chose to paint a quote on my plaque and I wanted to do it before I strung it up. By doing this, I don’t get the sealant I spray on the string.

Find what you want to paint.

I wanted to portray to my mom what I was meaning by giving her the dandelion, so I decided to paint a quote onto the wood.  The others I saw said, “Be Free” or “Make a Wish.”  Those are cute, but not what I was going for.  Since every day is like an adventure to her, it was easy.  I chose “and so the adventure begins”.

Draw what you want to paint and where you want it to go. 


**This is one of the reasons why I love making a template.  You can make notes on it, or change your mind and erase things.  It’s a definite must have when getting into more detailed string art designs!**

Ok, this is the cool part, so pay attention.  Flip over your template and color with chalk on the back of what you want to paint. 


Flip it back around and put it on the wood where it goes.  Trace over it with a pencil.  The image that you traced should have transferred onto the wood in chalk.  Trace over it on the wood with pencil, so it doesn’t come off, then start painting it with acrylics. 


Once you’re done, spray a sealer on top, let it dry, and then get back to your string art.

**********************************************************************************

Now it’s time to drill.  Tape your template to the plaque, so it doesn’t move.  Take a small drill bit {I used a DeWALT drill with a 3/32 sized bit},







and place tape around it as a gauge to show how far you can go into the wood.  This depends on the depth of the wood you’re using.  You don’t need to go too far in. 


This step makes it easier for the nails to be hammered in, especially with pallets where the wood has a tendency to crack.  Then there’s the fact that with a more detailed design, the holes give you a guide for when the paper comes off.


Clean up the mess that you now have.

Time to start nailing.  Where there’s a pre drilled hole, hammer in a nail.  Be sure not to go too far down because you don’t want it poking out the back of the plaque, but make sure it’s secure.


I strung the stem before nailing in all the inner circle nails.  That way, they wouldn’t get in the way. 

The two nails in the middle of the inner circle should be a tad lower than the rest, since they will be hidden. Tie a knot around one of them,


and pull it down to the bottom of the stem, then back up to one of the two nails.
 

Keep weaving them up and down until you have the look you want for the stem. Tie it off with a knot on one of the inner nails and your stem is done.


Hammer in the rest of the nails.

**The inner circle nails are so close together that it’s easier to stagger them higher and lower.  Once you’re done stringing everything, you can hammer them all to the same height.**

  

The next step is to fill in the inner circle.  Tie the string around a nail, and just start weaving.  Use any pattern or design you want, just make sure that the end of the stem is hidden. Tie it off with a knot when done. 


The next step was the one I had meticulously planned out, but when I got down to it, I just played around to get the result I liked.  Start at one end on your outer circle, and tie your string to the inner circle nail that’s underneath it.  Take it up to that starting nail on the outer circle, then back down to the inner circle.  Then go back up to the next nail on the outer circle, and continue doing this all the way until you reach the other end.  Work your way back around, but play around as you go.  Take it at different angles back to the inner circle, just as long as the outer ring stays as points.



Once you have your desired look for that section, and have reached an end nail on your outer circle, wrap the string down to the end nail on the third ring in, then back up to the next nail on the outer ring.  Work it in a zig zag pattern all the way around, then back around, successfully doubling up the layer of string.  Tie it off once you reach the end.

Now, for the last layer of your dandelion.  You’re going to start at one end and make a smaller zig zag pattern starting at your third ring in and going to the second ring in.  Work your way around, then double back again to thicken the layer.  Tie it off once you reach the end.

Don’t forget to string up your flyaways. 



**I started and stopped the string on the middle nail, so no one would notice the knots.**

Once everything is tied off, go through and lightly hammer any nails that are uneven, just to be sure they’re all level. 

There you have it.  That’s how I made my dandelion.  I know it seems like a lot, but it’s actually really easy. 


One of the best parts about string art is when people look at all the nails sticking out of the plaque, before the string, and have no idea what they’re seeing.  When they ask, all you have to say is, “You’ll see.”

Tell me what you thought of this post.  Did you find it helpful? Did you learn anything new?

What other string art designs have you tried?

If you use this to make a dandelion, don’t forget to send me a picture!

Be sure to stay tuned for more string art and tutorials to come.

Until then, take a look at other designs I have done.


 
   Click here to get one of your very own
Coming Soon...


And...


Happy DIY-ing!! 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Your mom sounds awesome and I'm sure this truly fit her lifestyle. I know I would love it.

    ReplyDelete