Monday, February 22, 2016

Pompom Valentine Heart Wreath





For my daughters Valentine party, I need to make a big heart.  It was for a game, and the style was up to me.  The only criteria was that it had to be big enough for them to throw bean bags through.

I went at this with the thought that it would be just like making a heart wreath for Valentine’s Day, so I went to Pinterest. 

The rag style was really cute, but I had already done a rag wreath, and I was looking for something new. 

Wire Heart Wreath Form
Then, I saw the Pompom wreath. 

It was cute, it was simple, and I knew I had to do it. 


Items needed
Yarn Pompoms, big and small
Hot Glue
Cardboard
Scissors

The first thing I did was made my pompoms.  I didn’t want to spend any money on a specific tool for this, so I found unconventional ways to make them.  Click here to find out how I made my pompoms.






It was time to make the heart.  Take out your cardboard.  Lucky for me, we had just ordered a new treadmill, and it came in a large cardboard box, so I had plenty. 


Use your scissors and cut a large heart out of cardboard. Then cut a smaller heart out of the middle, so you have the outline of a heart. 



The first heart I cut was way too big, and so I ended up using the one I cut out from the middle.  Be sure to save your extra cardboard hearts.  You never know when you might need them.



Now, bring out all your pompoms and your hot glue gun.




Start with your bigger pompoms and lay out the design you want.
 


When you have it how you like, use your hot glue gun and glue them down on the cardboard. 



When I was done, it was cute, but it had gaps where you could easily see the cardboard.
 

This is where, I took my smaller poms and glued them sporadically around the wreath where they were needed the most. 

There, it was so cute when I was done.  Except when I picked it up, the cardboard was flimsy where I had folded it to cut my heart. 


I just glued a stabilizer piece of cardboard where it folded, and glued it on.



I then took some of my red yard, looped it around the front, and left the two ends long and untied.  That way, I could tie them to make the loop short so I could use it as a wreath, or longer so it could hang for a bean bag toss. 




I really enjoyed watching this wreath come together and now I have a great February decoration for my home. 

While doing my research, I found so many different thing that could be done with homemade pompoms.  Here are just a few…



And Much Much more!

With so many options, I wonder what MY next pompom project will be.  Stay tuned to find out!

Until then…

Happy DIY-ing!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment