Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Fruity Jell-O Whip Cream Cups; Strawberry




It’s February.  You know what that means, right?

It’s time to get cheesy.  It’s time to get mushy. It’s time to celebrate…



That’s right!  We love our family…  We love our friends… We love our hobbies…  And most importantly, we love ourselves.  This is the month to embrace all of it, and I "Whipped Up" the perfect DIY dessert to kick it off. 




My mother-in-law’s always spoiling my children, as grandparents should.  She’s constantly giving them cookies, candy, juices, ice cream, banana bread, and more.  They love it all, but there’s one thing they can’t get enough of.

She has one staple dish that my kids have aptly named, “Grandma’s Famous Jell-O.”  There’s nothing to it, just Jell-O mixed with whipped cream in a big bowl.  Throw some marshmallows on top, and voilà, “Grandma’s Famous Jell-O.”

For my son’s 10th birthday, I wanted to give him something different, but something I knew he would love, so I found a dessert that puts a fun and exciting twist to Grandma’s Jell-O.   (Jell-O Parfait

This is so easy, and it only has 3 ingredients.  To make it kid friendly, I used sugar free Jell-O, and so “Mom” could indulge, guilt free, I used Lite Cool Whip.



Being that it is Jell-O though, there was one downfall.   It took hours to complete because the Jell-O had to harden.  I’m not a very patient person, but it was worth it in the end.  

How I made it... 

(I ended up deviating from the original recipe to add more filling and not so much fruit.)  

What you need:
1 pkg strawberry Jell-O gelatin, sugar free
¾ cup diced fresh strawberries
1 ½ cup Lite Cool Whip

(I made strawberry, but I can also see this being done with other flavors as well.)

First, Mix Jell-O in a bowl, as directed on package.
 

**Tip: Use ice water to help harden the Jell-O faster, when it says to add cool water.**

Stick it in the fridge and let it cool until it starts to thicken up.  (I had to wait a little over an hour.) 

Take it out of the fridge and separate ½ cup of the Jell-O into a separate container.  Set aside.

Add the fresh fruit to the original mixture. 



Spoon it into your serving cups, and place them so they are sitting at a slant.


  

**The tutorial showed her using a bread pan.  When I tried this, I found that it really did work well. I have also seen this with muffin tins.  It all depends on the shape of your glass.** 

Place it the fridge to cool and harden.  (Mine took a little over 3 hours.)

Once it’s in the fridge, bring over your ½ cup Jell-O mix.  In a bowl, mix the Jell-O with the 1 ½ cup Cool Whip. 


Place the bowl in the fridge to keep cool.  Be sure to stir every so often, so the gelatin doesn’t harden. 

When the Jell-O in the serving glasses is hardened to the point where it stays diagonal when you set the glass upright, it’s time to spoon in the Cool Whip mixture. 



Once you have the desired amount in each glass, place them back in the refrigerator to stay chilled.

 

When you are ready to eat, put some Whipped Cream on the top and garnish with fresh strawberries. 

Now it’s time to sit back and enjoy!



My son LOVED this for his birthday, and after giving me multiple hugs, he asked me to make it again as soon as possible.  Yes!! Score 1 for Mom!!



Whether its birthdays, holidays, or “Just Because…”  This is a perfect dessert for any day, and it’s a great way to show the people you made it for, how much you care.

If you enjoyed this post, please Share it and let me know.  I always love hearing from people.

What other flavors do you think would taste good?  Who can get the most creative?

Stay tuned for more posts celebrating L.O.V.E. this February!

Until then…


Happy DIY-ing!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment