Friday, February 12, 2016

Valentine Jell-O Bugs



It’s an infestation!!!



Of love bugs that is….




Love Bug Fruit Cups
When I was looking for Valentine DIYs, I came across these cute little critters, and practically shoved them in the face of the moms at my daughters preschool PTA.  I HAD to make them for the Valentine party!!


I made a few adjustments to the original design.  The first being that I changed the fruit cups.  I needed over twenty of these bugs and the Snack Pack Sugar Free Jell-O was $1.23 cheaper for four than the pineapple cups that were used.  Plus, BONUS… They were “Sugar Free”.

The only downfall to these cups was that they are handled so rough, and the plastic is not as hard, so they take a beating before hitting the shelves.  I just turned them until I found an undamaged side. 


Time to break out the hot glue gun.

**You will NOT melt the side of the Jell-O cup when gluing on the pieces!  I was worried about that too, but it was just fine.**

Here’s everything you need:
Jell-O cups
Googly Eyes
Mini Pom Poms
Small Pom Poms
Pipe Cleaners
Foam Hearts / or foam paper to cut out your own


**Glitter Pom Poms and Pipe cleaners are optional.  I was lucky enough to find a multipack at Michaels that had pipe cleaners and an assortment of sizes for pom poms, some glittery and some not.  That way, I got to play and mix colors to make them all different and unique.**

Take a pipe cleaner, and cut it in fours. This will give you two sets of antennas.


Take your small pom poms, and glue them to the tops of the pipe cleaners to make balls on top of the antennas. Set aside.


Find the best side of your Jell-O cup and glue on a set of eyes.


Then use a mini Pom, and glue on the nose.


Next, flip it over and glue on the antennas.


Now, you need the feet.  Take your foam hearts.

**I found a pack of 60 glittery hearts at Dollar Tree for $1.**

Glue them to the bottom of the Jell-O cup on the corners with the round side poking out.


I then cricked my antennas to each side to give it a little more character.

That’s it.  You’re done.  Now, you can make a little infestation of your very own.


Once I did a couple bugs to make sure everything went smoothly, that’s when I set up my assembly line to do the rest.  It didn’t take too long, and they are so worth it.


These make such a cute addition to the plate of a valentine party, and I can see how you can change it up for different holidays as well.  The possibilities are endless!


Stay tuned for more projects to celebrate this month and Valentine’s Day!

Until then…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment