Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Bacon Patty BLT



It’s finally here!  It’s that time of year where there’s no more excuses, and it’s time to start eating right.  It seems like every month there is something to hold us back.


October:
All that yummy Halloween candy that we have to “check” and “make sure it’s safe” for our kids…
November:
It’s hard to start now.  We think, why start now, when all that delicious Thanksgiving dinners are right around the corner…
December:
Hello!! It’s Christmas time!  Its cookies, candy, big family dinners, and more.
January:
New Year’s!
February:
Valentine candy and chocolates!
March:
St. Paddy’s Day!
Then, Easter! What’s Easter without Easter candy?

Ugh! It’s an endless cycle.  However, here’s a reprieve.  There’s no pressing food holidays, and summer is right around the corner.  Like I said… “It’s time!

Time to take care of ourselves.  To help with this, I’m going to share how to make my deliciously special BLT. 


However, to make it, you have to know how to make a Bacon Patty. 

Let’s get something strait!  I LOVE bacon!!  Yes, I know bacon is not ideal for healthy eating, but I have learned that smaller portions of the things you love, with healthier additions, helps a person stay on track.

First things first…

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Get a cookie sheet and cover it with foil.


Take out 3 pieces of bacon and cut them in half.


**Now, I have tried this with Turkey Bacon.  It will work, and it did save me 50 calories per sandwich, but because of the toughness, I wasn’t a fan.** 

Place three half pieces, and lay them in a row, touching. Then take the other halves and weave them in an over/under pattern with the three laid out pieces.  This will give you a square shape of bacon.


I usually make four at a time, therefore I have some made in advance.


Place a cooling rack over the top of your uncooked patties. This helps to keep them flat when they cook.

Cook in the oven for 18 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.


Pull them out and let cool some.  **Careful! Bacon grease WILL be hot!!**

 
When your patties have cooled enough to handle, place them on a paper towel covered plate.  Take another paper towel and blot up the excess grease.


Bam! Bacon Patties…


These can be used on any type of sandwich, including the all too known, Bacon Cheeseburger.  However, I store three out of the four in the fridge for later days, and use one for my delicious tasting BLT. 

Here’s how…

I first toast my 100% Wheat Sara Lee Sandwich Thins.
 
**Here’s a fun trick I learned… To toast the outside of bread, but leave the inside warm and soft, place the two pieces of toast in the same toaster spot.  This is so ingenious, I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before.**


When that’s done, I layer my bacon patty, green leaf lettuce, and two slices of tomato.  I put one serving of Light Mayonnaise on the top bun, and top off the sandwich.

Depending on my mood, I might throw a little avocado in the mix, but I always resort back to my original style. 


It’s simple, it’s easy, it’s good for you, and I can’t get enough of them!!


If you think you know of a better tasting BLT, comment below! If you dare... LOL

I would love to try and compare, and you can do the same.

Until next time…



Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment