Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My Little Grinch and Daisy Head Mayzie; Dr. Seuss Day!




Happy Birthday Theodor Seuss Geisel!!
**Better known as, Dr. Seuss**

“You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.”

Yes, it’s that time of year again.  A time to celebrate an author that has brought us so many GREAT children’s books.  Books like the classic “Cat In The Hat” or “One FISH Two FISH Red FISH Blue FISH”, and of course no one can forget “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”!  There are so many books, with so many unforgettable rhymes and characters.

How do schools celebrate this day?  By dressing up as your favorite Dr. Seuss character and serving Green Eggs and Ham of course!

I have had so much fun with this the last two years. 

Last year my son wanted to go as the Grinch.  No matter how much I tried to talk him out of it, because the Grinch is so much harder than some of the other characters.  He was adamant though.  He had to be the Grinch. **Keep in mind, this was three days before he needed to be dressed up.** 

That was it.  The gauntlet was thrown down, and it was either go big or go home.

I first started on the outfit.  I turned a plain white t-shirt into the Grinch’s classic ugly sweater using a freezer paper stencil and acrylic paint.  Then I stuck him in kakis and put a red long sleeve t-shirt underneath the Christmas tree t-shirt.  Bam! Done.

Next, came his head.  My husband spiked his hair, and I used hair color and sprayed it green.  Then after hours of watching YouTube videos on how to paint the Grinch face, I thought I would give it a shot.  (Click here for the one that helped me the most.)  Even though I didn't have all the colors she did, I had a great time painting his face.  I never knew it could be that fun.



Overall, I thought that it came out great and he turned out to be the star of the Whoville crowd in his classroom.  It was so much fun seeing him transform from my cute little boy into a scowling green Grinch.



“Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”

Now, for this year…

It was my daughter’s turn. She’s young enough that it was more up to me than her on what she was going to be.  I didn’t think she would be a fan of the face paint, so I went in search of something cute but different.  That’s when I started to see all these girls with a flower growing out of their hair.  That’s when I got introduced to Daisy Head Mayzie. 

Her look was simple, just a pink dress with white ruffles.  Oh, let’s not forget the daisy coming out of her hair.

Believe it or not, my daughter did not have a pink dress anywhere.  She’s more of the jeans and boots type, so dresses are somewhat scarce around here.  I did find her pink tutu that her older brother gave her for her birthday last year.  Now all I needed was a plain pink shirt. 

I went and bought a cheap pink shirt, some white felt, wide white ribbon, a fake daisy, and a headband. 


When I got home, it was time to put it all together. 

I first sewed the white ribbon around the band of the tutu, leaving two long strips in the back to tie them into a big white bow.




Then I cut ruffles out of the white felt and sewed them around the neck and arm holes.



Paired with white tights, a small pair of pink shorts underneath the tutu, and pretty shoes, her clothes were done.




Now for the daisy.  I had no idea how I was going to get the flower to stay on the headband.  I cut the stem down and stripped it until the wire was free. 


I then tried to wrap it around, but couldn’t get the wire securely around the band so the flower wouldn’t move.  That’s when my husband stepped in, and said he would take care of it. 

I leave the room, and when I come back, he had drilled a hole in the middle of the headband, stuck the wire through, and tightly wrapped it around the headband.  That flower was not going anywhere!


It was headband against man, and man prevailed!! Thank you, Hun!

After that was finished, her outfit was done.  She did need clips around her headband so it would stay on her head, but you could barely see them amongst her hair.

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

 

She was so cute! When we got to school, she was shy and didn’t want to go in her classroom, but once she heard that a lot of her friends had crazy hair and clothes on too, she was all for going in.  It was a great day for her.  My only wish is that she would have at least TRIED the Green Eggs and Ham!  Maybe next year…

**Helpful hint: I have to say how much better it was to sew an outfit instead of using hot glue or paints.  When my daughter was done being Daisy Head Mayzie, I just seam ripped through the outfit, and her tutu was back the way it came, and she had a new pink shirt to wear whenever she liked.**


So, I need to know… Who is your favorite Dr. Seuss character?

Do you like Green Eggs and Ham, Sam I am?

Comment below, and let me know!

Until next time…


Happy DIY-ing!!!


“Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.”

No comments:

Post a Comment