Friday, January 22, 2016

All Natural Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub




Christmas time is over.  You now have to make room for all your new fun toys, you don’t want to see another large turkey dinner for a while, snow is not so magical anymore, and you have loads of peppermint candy left over that you don’t know what to do with.

Problem solved!!



I found this cute jar of peppermint sugar scrub.  The way she put everything together was absolutely adorable. 
Peppermint CC Scrub
Plus, (Bonus!) it looked exactly like a bottle from a Starbucks Frappuccino.  Of course, I had to go get one right away.







So once I disposed of the delicious liquid inside *wink*wink*, I got the stickers and left over residue off the bottle.  Click here to learn the easiest way to remove sticker residue.

Next, it was time to make the scrub.  The way she did it sounded alright, but I was psyched to use actual peppermint candy.  Since I wanted to go that route, I decided to go all the way and make the scrub ALL natural.

I made two different sugar scrubs, just to mix it up a little.  They’re very similar, but with a slight difference.


Here’s what you need:

Pink Scrub
7 peppermint candy canes
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
½ tsp peppermint extract


White Scrub
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup almond oil
½ tsp peppermint extract


I made the pink scrub first.  First, chop up the candy canes to make it easier on your mixer.



Next, I used my coffee grinder, but a food processor or high powered blender would work just as well.  Grind up the peppermint candy to a powder.  This is what makes that beautiful pink color.



**Be sure that there are no larger pieces of the candy left that can hurt the skin when rubbed on.**   

Next, mix all the ingredients for your pink scrub together. Now, this is optional, but I put a little extra sugar in to make it more exfoliating.  It’s a personal preference, and completely up to you however thick you prefer it to be.  Once everything is mixed, move it to the side.



Now… this is where I accidently tipped over my peppermint extract and lost half the bottle on the counter.  This, I would NOT recommend.  For half the day, no matter how much I scrubbed, I was consumed with the strong smell of peppermint.

Moving on…

Time to mix all your ingredients for your white scrub.  Once again, I added a little more sugar.  Still optional…



Next is the part that reminded me of the sand art I used to do as a kid.  Bring out your bottle, and make sure the inside is clean and dry.  Next, start spooning/funneling in your scrubs.  Make any fun design you want.  Since this is a “Candy Cane” scrub, I decided on making the classic striped look. 

I put in one layer, then used the handle of a wooden spatula to press it down and compact it before putting in the next layer.



This is where having a love of MOCHA Frappuccino got me in a little bit of a pickle.  The lid was brown.  A brown lid doesn’t go with pink and white striped peppermint! However, just a couple coats of metal spray paint, and problem solved.   




It looked so cute, but of course it was missing a label.  You have to know what’s in the bottle, don’t you??  I went into Photoshop, and made a quick design before printing it off on address labels, of all things. 


Put everything together, and you have a really cute bottle of sugar scrub that’s great to show off your mad DIY skills.  The best part, since it’s all natural, you can use it anywhere.  You could even eat it if you chose to.  Umm… I don’t think I’m going to though. 

My sister-in-law is the lucky one over here.  She got the bottle I made as a belated Christmas gift. Luckily, I “forced” myself to go buy another Mocha Frappuccino.  That way, when I make another one, I have my container. 


Who knows what flavor it will be next.

Until then...


Happy DIY-ing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment