Monday, January 4, 2016

Amazing Cornbread and Yellow Cake Mix




Ok, Holidays are over, what does that mean?   Yes!  It’s time to do something with that left over ham.  What else is there to make, other than Ham and Beans and Cornbread?
This was something that my grandma would make every year, and it was always a favorite of mine.  With her being gone I got nostalgic, and tried to recreate the meal.  However, Grandma had lots of practice with this… I had not.  Let’s just say that the beans came out less than appealing.  I’m not even going to show you a picture, they were so bad.  Just know that beans can overcook and become more mush than soup.  Just saying…
However, the star of this meal had to be the cornbread.




This was great because no one wanted cornbread.  My kids could only think of it as bread that tasted like corn, and my husband’s not a fan.  He was the one that told me he had heard about mixing it with cake mix.  Therefore, I did a little investigating.
Not much was out there on Pinterest, but I did find this. 
The Sister Dish: Boston Mkt Crnbd
It was very simple to make, and the kids were excited because they thought of it as getting cake for dinner. 
One thing I was concerned about was the ratio of cornbread to cake mix.  What I found said that if you’re using one box of Jiffy cornbread mix, use one box of Jiffy YELLOW cake mix.  If you are using two boxes, use a normal sized YELLOW cake mix box.

**It was a tad sweeter than I wanted. Next time, I'll take out a smidge of cake mix. However, this was not a problem for the kiddos.  Its all about preference.**


Next, make the mix how it says on the boxes.  Confusing, right?  I thought so too.  This was where I trusted my gut.  I dumped in all the ingredients for two boxes of cornbread mix, then all the ingredients for the cake mix into one big bowl.  Yes, there were some double ingredients used.  The picture below shows what I used for the mixes I bought.

I used mixes, 5 eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1 cup water, & 1/2 cup oil

Beat all ingredients together on medium speed, till well mixed.  Mix will be slightly lumpy. 

Poor into cake pan. 
Now, for the baking.  One box said to preheat the oven to 350 and the other said to 400.  What do you do here? 
The instructions I followed said to bake a 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30 mins.  That’s what I did, but since my pan happened to be 12 x 12, the middle wasn’t quite done after thirty minutes, so I cranked the oven temperature up to 400 degrees and baked it for another 10 minutes.  What came out was perfect.  Sometimes you just have to think on your feet.

The cornbread was moist and tender.  My whole family loved it, and that’s saying a lot for my picky husband and even pickier kids.  It has the sweetness of cake, but doesn’t lose that wonderful taste of cornbread that hits right on those pastime memories. Add a little butter in the middle of a slice to make it even better. 
If you try this out, comment below and tell me how it turned out! 
Have you ever made it before?
Or better yet, should original cornbread even be tampered with?

Let me know what you think.


Happy DIY-ing!


No comments:

Post a Comment