Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Broadening Family Horizons; April 2016; RUTABAGA



I recently started this new idea with my family.  We are going to broaden our horizons and try something new to eat every month… 

I got the idea when I saw this…


and said, “What the heck is that?”

It’s a rutabaga, by the way; a root vegetable that’s a possible cross between the cabbage and the turnip. Thank you, Wikipedia.

When I asked around, if people had tried one or if they liked it, the answer to both questions was a resounding, “No.”

I didn’t care.  I was determined that my family would be able to say, “Yeah, I’ve had that.” Who knows, they might even like it. 

I researched many different ways to season and cook a rutabaga, and tried the way that look the best.
 


First I had to peel the sucker.  I read somewhere that peeling a rutabaga was easier than peeling a butternut squash (another thing I haven’t tried). Well, I don’t think I want to try and peel a butternut squash, because that rutabaga was a tough sucker to peel.  I eventually did it like a cantaloupe.  Cut off both ends and peel it down the sides. 

I chopped the peeled rutabaga into chunks. You can see the size of mine compared to the wooden spoon. Again… not so simple.



I browned some butter on the stove and poured it over the top.  Then I seasoned the chunks with Italian seasoning and salt, and tossed. 

I baked the rutabaga at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.  The chunks were tender and had browned nicely.

It was time for dinner…



*********Family Verdict*************

The pieces melted in our mouths, and the seasoning was good.  However, it was not enough to change the actual taste of the rutabaga, which we were all not fans of.

It was kind of a bummer, but there’s always that chance when trying something new that it won’t be a winner for you.

************************************

I’m curious as to what next month’s new food will be.  I guess I’ll know it when I see it.

Maybe leeks…

Maybe Brussels sprouts…

Anyone have any suggestions?

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like it. I think it looks yummy. But I'm going to take your word for that it's not good.

    You should try BEETS next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. If you did the same thing to a potato, they would probably love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, my kids aren't too fond of potatoes either. Picky, picky...

    ReplyDelete