Sunday, March 27, 2016

EGGSperiments!




It’s Easter!  
So it’s time for some…
EGGSperiments!!

This is all things hardboiled eggs!
First things first, how to make the perfect hardboiled egg…

I read so many blogs and even saw a chart that said for the perfect hardboiled egg, you have to bring the eggs to a boil, then remove them from heat and let them sit for 10 minutes before putting them in an ice bath to cool.  So that’s what I did.

My eggs didn’t cook all the way!  I’m thinking it was because my eggs were laid only days before from our chickens. So I did a little EGGSperimenting!



Here’s what I found to make the PERFECT hard-boiled freshly laid eggs…
Put the eggs in a saucepan with cold water.
Bring the water to a rolling boil.
Boil for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes.
Then place eggs in a bowl of cold water until cooled.
Done!


FUN FACT


How can you tell when an egg is cooked and when one is not?  Spin them!  Yeah, I know, I thought it was strange too, but it makes sense.  The insides slosh around inside an uncooked egg and prevents it from spinning very fast.  This is not the case with a cooked egg.  I got to try this out, and my kids thought it was great!

 

Moving on…

I was reading and watching so many different ways to peel a hard-boiled egg.  It got me thinking, what is the fastest and easiest way?

Time for more EGGSperiments…

I took 5 different hardboiled eggs and peeled them 5 different ways.

The first way was with a spoon.  Peel a little off the top, and a little off the bottom and use a spoon to gently work in between the egg and the shell.

 

**Overall, it went faster than I thought it would and it was actually pretty easy.  The only downfall was that it’s easy to damage the egg.  As you can see, my peeled egg wasn’t so pretty.**
 

The next thing I tried was to make a small hole in the egg (I did this on both sides for a little extra advantage). Place it back in the bowl of water, and the water is supposed to seep into the shell and work its way in between the shell and the egg white.



**Mine did NOT.  It peeled around the hole easily, but stopped not too far away.  Eventually, I stopped trying and moved onto the next egg.**


The rolling method was next.  Peel a little off the top and a little off the bottom, place it on a hard surface and roll under your hand until you feel the egg shell cracking.  Roll until the whole thing is cracked, then peel.

 

**Holy Cow! This worked perfectly!  The shell came off in one piece and it was so easy to do!**


The next method was one I saw on YouTube from TheCrazyRussianHacker, and it was SO cool.  You peel a little off the bottom and a little off the top.  Put the small end to your mouth and blow.  The air is supposed to push the egg out the big end.

 

**I put the egg to my mouth and blew…and blew…and blew till I was blue in the face.  Then I peeled a little more off the bottom and tried again.  The same thing happened… Nothing.  This was a little disappointing.**
 

The last and final method was the shaker method.  You place an egg in a container with a little bit of water.  Put a top on it and shake it up.  The shell is supposed to crack right off in the jar.  I first used a bowl and places a plate over top of it.  When I shook it up, my water was coming out, so I moved to a saucepan. 



**The shell didn’t come off my egg all the way and I had water and little bits of shell all over the pan and bowl.  Granted, the shell came off easier when I took it out of the pan and peeled it off, but I don’t see me ever doing this again because of the gigantic mess.**


Overall… The rolling method was a clear winner, with the spoon method coming in a close second!  So peel away, and enjoy all those hardboiled Easter eggs!

FUN FACT

Myth or Fact:  Freshly laid eggs are harder to peel than eggs that have been laid 4-5 days before.”

I didn’t see why this would matter, so I did a little…. Yep, that’s right… EGGSperiment.

I picked an egg out of the ones that were just laid that day,


and I cooked it with an egg that had been laid around 5 days earlier. 


When they were ready, I used the number one peeling method found above, the rolling method, on both eggs.

The result… I wouldn’t say that either egg was hard to peel, but it did turn out that that the 5 day old egg was easier to peel.  Its shell was in one piece while I had to pick more at the fresher egg.  It was fun to see the air pocket that’s normally at the bottom of an egg was on the side of the fresh egg. It’s because it hadn’t had a chance to sit upright in a carton yet, but it’s still something I hadn’t seen before.



Myth or Fact?  I do believe that’s a FACT!


That brings an end to my EGGSperiments.  I hope you have as much fun with your cooked eggs as I did!

Leave a comment and let me know any other ways you like to peel eggs, or any other fun facts.

I always like to hear from you.

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment