Monday, April 11, 2016

Double Chocolate Banana Minis





I did something this week that I haven’t done in years!  I entered into a weight loss competition.  I’m thinking this is just what I need to get my but in gear and be ready for swimsuit season. 

Now, even though it’s crunch time, there are times I can’t curb my craving for chocolate.  Sometimes it’s a necessity!

My brain immediately went to a recipe I found from Yammie's Noshery when I needed something new to do with my ripe bananas.  A few tweaks, and bam… a quick little snack that helps tame the chocolate dragon inside of me.

Double Chocolate Banana Minis
You need:
3 ripe bananas
1 egg
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup Chocolate Chips (optional)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mash the bananas.

Combine all the wet ingredients in a bowl. (Bananas, Egg, Brown Sugar, Applesauce, and Vanilla)



In a different bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. (Cocoa, Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt)



Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones, stirring as you go.



Once all ingredients are mixed together, now’s the time to add the chocolate chips, if desired.  Mix them into the batter.



**I used milk chocolate chips to sweeten the minis a little more.  To me, sometimes too much dark chocolate can make food bitter.**


Time to break out those mini muffin tins.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and spoon in the batter.



**This recipe makes 42 minis!**

Cooking time varies depending on the consistency desired. 

For brownie like minis, cook time is 13 mins.  For cake like minis, cook for 15 mins. 

**Remember, mini muffins cook faster than bigger ones.**

Check minis with a toothpick to see how done they are.

Take them out of the oven and let cool before removing them from the tins.

The moment of truth…

The taste test!



******************Family Verdict******************

4 out of 5 of us really enjoyed them.  My ten year old son’s not a fan of dark chocolate, so I knew it was going to be iffy for him. 

Hubby’s comment, “They’re so rich, I like that they’re smaller bites.  I think it would be too much if they were bigger, but this size is perfect.”

************************************************

These little things, as is, are only 45 calories a piece.  There are so many more things you could do with them too.  Maybe some mint pieces instead of chocolate chips, maybe some protein powder, or even switching the type of flour. 



I know I enjoyed these, and plan on making them again soon.  They were perfect for when my husband and kids grab their sugar snacks.  Then I can have my little bit of chocolate as well, and not worry about messing up my “trying to be healthier” lifestyle.



Eating right and exercise… Every time I think of that last word, I cringe, but then I laugh when I remember this…

Wait for it...

I wouldn’t put it past me to do the same thing!

Be sure to follow me, so you can find out my success, what I used… and if I truly ever fell on my face while working to get there.   

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment