Thursday, March 24, 2016

Easter Bunny Bites




Need a quick and easy school snack for an Easter party?

I’ve got the perfect thing for you.



These Bunny Bites are so easy to make. 

All you need is popped popcorn, mini marshmallows, small pastel colored candies, and sandwich Ziploc bags.

When I was first looking for party snacks, I saw the popcorn balls that were made by melting the marshmallows so the popcorn and candy stuck together.  It was really cute, but since this was for preschoolers, all I could see were sticky hands getting melted marshmallow everywhere. 

With the Bunny Bites, they would get to pick out what they wanted to eat and what they didn’t, because we all know how picky little kids can be. 

Here’s how I made mine and what I used.



My Bunny Bites (filled 24 sandwich bags)
7 full size bags of popped popcorn
A full bag of mini marshmallows
Easter Sweet Tart Jelly Beans
Easter M&Ms
Easter Sixlets (Chocolate Balls)

At first, I tried to give the same exact amount of candy per bag and separated it into 24 piles.



Yeah, that was too hard, so I ended up putting approximately the same amount of M&Ms and Jelly Beans in each bag. Then I dumped one packet of Sixlets in each.

 

Now it was time for the popcorn.  I popped the popcorn and it in a big bowl to cool down. I worked with only two bags at a time.

Once cooled, I mixed in some mini marshmallows.  My mini marshmallows were a little sticky, so it worked out perfectly when they lightly stuck to bits of popcorn.



Place a cup of the popcorn mixture in each candy bag.



**Make sure to be careful not to include the unpopped kernels.  Those are never good for little teeth.**


Shake your bag to mix everything together and lay it face down so all the colorful candies fall to the front of the bag.



Press down on the bag to squeeze out the air.  This will help keep the candies from falling right back down to the bottom of the bag. Seal and done.



That’s all there is too it, and you have a great snack for any school party.

To dress up my bag, I stuck a template under the clear bag painted over it.  I was thinking of stapling a label to the bag instead, but I could see flying staples when the preschoolers ripped them off.  Painting was much simpler, I thought. (That was until I hit around 15 and never wanted to paint another bunny again J; 24 was a lot of little baggies to paint.) In the end, I have to say that they were pretty cute.  Little bits of paint did chip off in the end, but nothing that ruined the design.



Now, for the true test…

The kids at my daughter’s preschool really enjoyed them.  Some dumped out them on their plates so they could pick through the stuff, and others just ate from the bag. 



It was a very quiet snack time.  Like her teacher, Ms. Shawna, pointed out, “You know it’s a good snack when all you hear is silence.”

I hope all your Easter parties are as fun… and quiet… as my daughter’s was.

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment