Thursday, March 24, 2016

Message in an... EGG?





I found this wonderful DIY for Easter, and it’s so simple it’s crazy.

You’ve heard about a message in a bottle, right?  Well, this is a message... in an egg! Not one of those cheap plastic ones either.  This is made strait from the chicken and turned into something truly amazing.

My son takes care of twenty chickens and we just started getting a dozen eggs, at least, a day.  I am surrounded by eggs!  My husband can’t sell them fast enough, and there are only so many times kids will want to eat eggs in a row.  Easter couldn’t have come sooner!

This year I hit the internet hard for all things eggs.  There are so many things out there, but what I kept getting drawn to was the hollowed out eggs so people could put things inside.  Glitter, cereal, grass, paint… You name it, someone probably putting it in an egg. 

Everything I saw, a big portion of the shell was gone, so I know how the insides came out.  What really caught my eye was the tiny love note found in a cracked egg. {Love Message in an Egg}
It’s so cute, and kind of romantic.

By the looks of things, the process looked more daunting than fun, but I wanted to try.  Oh man, was I wrong!  Out of everything I did this Easter, this was probably the easiest. 

Here’s how:

Grab a small bowl, a needle, and of course an uncooked egg.



Poke a small hole in the bottom of the egg with the needle. I also used the needle to break the yoke apart while doing this.



Make the hole a tad bit bigger, but not too much.  I used the needle for this as well.  You want it small enough to be discreet, but large enough for the insides to come out.



The problem…  I held the egg over the bowl, but nothing came out.  I gave it a little shake, but still nothing.  Here’s the trick…

Poke a small hole it the top as well.   Not a big one, just the size of the needle.  Place it over the bowl and blow into the top hole. 



The air will push the insides of the egg out the bottom hole.

 

Once all the insides are out, run water over the bottom hole.

 

When water gets trapped in the egg, place your fingers over the holes and shake, shake, shake to clean it out.  Blow the water out the same way you did the yoke.  Do this a few times to make sure the inside of the egg is clean.

Place it over a bottle/container overnight so all the water can drip out.  This helps so the note won’t get wet. 



While that’s waiting, you can get your message ready.  Tear off a small strip of paper and write your message. 


It can be anything you want to say.  I was thinking that it might be cute for fortunes as well.  Instead of a “fortune cookie” you give out a “fortune egg”.

Roll it up as small as you can.  I used a toothpick for help and rolled it around that.



Oops, be careful when you put your message in.  The egg is fragile and my message was a little bit bigger than my bottom hole. My hole cracked a tiny bit bigger than I would have liked.

If this happens, it’s no big deal.  Stick a small piece of tape over the bottom.  The paint hides everything anyways.

 

Speaking of paint… Once the message is in, it’s time to decorate the egg.  You can use whatever you want to do this.  I used my acrylic paints and puff paint to give it some dimension.



There you have it, you’re very own “Message in an Egg.”



These would be great as gifts, or even party favors. 



The look on my kids’ faces when I cracked the egg and only a piece of paper was inside was priceless!  I felt like Super Mom because they thought I was the coolest mom in the world for making that happen. 

If you were to do this, what would you put in an egg?  What would it say?

Comment below and let me know.

Be sure to look around my blog for more holiday and Easter DIYs to do at home.
Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment