Thursday, June 16, 2016

Veggie & Turkey Omelet




I pulled a Taylor Swift!!  Read on to find out what I’m talking about…

***************

One day here recently, I stopped by my parents’ house. It was a little after lunch time when my mom offered to cook me an omelet.  I said okay, and jumped onto the counter, in the same spot that I sat while growing up, and watched my mom make a delicious looking omelet that gave the room a wonderful peppery aroma.

Since then, I’ve made a few modifications, but it never fails… I think of my mom each and every time I make it, which is a lot.

Not only is it scrumptious, it also makes for a very healthy meal.  It’s so good, there’s no way I couldn’t share the recipe with you. 


What you’ll need:

Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey Sausage Crumbles (Fully-cooked)
Southwest Blend onion, red pepper, and green pepper mix
Raw Spinach (Stems removed)
Eggs (I use 3)
Tabasco Sauce
Fiesta Blend, Reduced Fat, shredded cheese
Salt & Pepper (optional)




**Amount of each ingredient is adjustable to the size of omelet you want.  Pictures below represent the portion sizes that are my usual amounts.**


First things first; spray pan with non-stick spray.  It makes everything a lot easier.

Quarter the grape tomatoes, and place in the pan.



Turn the burner on a medium heat and let the tomatoes cook until they become softer.  Push around occasionally to prevent burning. 

Add in the thawed turkey sausage crumbles and onion mix.  Cook and mix until the onions start to turn yellow.  At this time, your kitchen should be smelling delicious.


Turn the burner down to low-medium heat and add in the spinach. Mix everything together.  Keep mixing until the spinach cooks down.  This will happen quickly. 


**I usually add in a good amount of spinach; a large handful without stems.  It cooks down so much that the amount won’t compromise the omelet.**

When the spinach has cooked down, I scrape out the mixture onto a small plate and set aside.

Time for the eggs.  For my omelet I use 2 full eggs and 1 egg white.  **I know the egg whites are healthier, but I still love that yolk flavor.**

Crack the eggs into a cup or bowl.  **At this point I find it nice to use a cup that always makes me smile.**


Add in the tobacco sauce (optional), and fork the eggs together.  **Amount of sauce is determined by how hot you want your omelet.**


Pour the egg mix into the empty pan, and let cook.  Salt and pepper to taste (optional). 


When the bottom of the omelet has cooked and the edges start to thicken, add the sausage mixture on top of the egg layer.


Spread around, leaving close to a ½ inch from the edge empty.


Once the mixture is spread, sprinkle the cheese on top.


Gently scrape around and under the omelet.  Once it’s thick, but not cooked all the way through, fold it in half and gently slide it to the middle of the pan.

 

Leave in the pan until the eggs are cooked all the way through, flipping occasionally.

 

**************UPDATE***************

To prevent the possibility of the omelet sticking and breaking when you fold or flip it, spread a small amount of olive oil around the pan before pouring the beaten eggs into it.  This gives a little extra help if that non-stick spray has cooked off.
************************************

This is a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  I like to pair it with fruits and vegetables, but it’s not needed.  The omelet itself could be a meal because of everything that’s wrapped inside.  It’s full of protein, very filling, and has a wonderful taste. 


I have to admit that I usually have one of these every day.  It’s a good thing we have chickens.  I have an endless supply of eggs to help support my omelet addiction.


I keep getting tempted to try a fruit omelet.  That sound pretty good too.  I’ll let you know how it turns out, if I try to make one.

**************

Okay, now the thing you have all been waiting for.  How did I pull a Taylor Swift, you ask…

Awhile back, when I told you that I was going to start exercising and eating right, I put on an APPLE commercial of her falling off a treadmill.  Then I commented that I hoped it wouldn’t happen to me.

I must have jinxed myself, because low and behold… I fell off our treadmill.  Worse yet… I wasn’t wearing the stop key.  I swear, this belongs on America’s Funniest Home Videos. I was slammed against a wall, and tumbled sideways the rest of the way off. Sitting at the end, I didn’t realize that my ankle was still pressed against the turning belt until it was too late.

End result… Right shin was bruised and scraped.  Left ankle sprained and section of skin burned off.

Needless to say, I have not been back on the treadmill, but I will always have a scar to remember it by.

I have continued to exercise though.  I switched to Netfit.tv.  I would recommend this to anyone! I have lost weight, gotten stronger, and gained enough energy to keep up with my kids again. 

**Carl… if you read this, just know that every time I see you on TV, I want to punch you because you kill me for 15-25 mins at a time.  However, I want to hug you at the same time because I know how much you’ve helped me.  Thank you!**

That’s all for now.  Stay tuned for more of my drama and DIY adventures!

 Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment