Monday, May 30, 2016

Broadening Family Horizons; May 2016; Cabbage Soup



As most of you know, I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds.  I was browsing one of my health food apps when I found a video for Peel-a-Pound Soup.  It looked so good, and apparently it’s magic for weight loss. There’s one problem though.

Cabbage!

Cabbage has never looked appealing to me, my kids haven’t had cabbage, and my husband has adamantly declared his hatred for the stuff.

I decided to try it anyway, and not tell anyone what was in it until after they tried it.  I know, that’s so bad. HeHe! 

Ingredients needed:

1 head of cabbage
1 large can of whole tomatoes
1 packet of Lipton onion mix
6 beef bouillon cubes
3.5 cups water
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
½ celery stalk
6 garlic cloves


Chop up your colorful array of vegetables.



**Yes, it’s a lot of ingredients, and it took a while to cut everything up.  Downfall!**

Find a big pot! I used our canning pot.

Dump in the tomatoes, and get a little messy by squishing them apart. **This was fun!**

Now add in everything else, but save the cabbage for last.  You might have to add in the cabbage in portions when some cooks down, depending on the size of your pot.

At this point I got a little worried.  It looked as if the soup was going to be mostly raw cabbage.

Thankfully it cooked down, and when it did it smelled great!



******************FAMILY VERDICT********************

This soup was a big hit.  All but 1 person that tried it thought it tasted good, and my son was the odd one out. Yes, the husband that proclaimed to hate cabbage even thought it was good.

I liked it, except that it left me still hungry and wanting more food.  There wasn’t enough protein in it for me. Which is okay if you have great self-control.  However, when I’m hungry, I want to shove as much food in my mouth as I can.  All I could think was that it needed some chunks of beef.  That would have made it perfect.

*****************************************************



To watch it made, here is the original video that I found. T-Roy Cooks, Peel-a-Pound Soup

His directions were so easy to follow.  However, he states that you burn more calories by eating the soup than you consume.  That’s a bit of a stretch, but one serving is low on the calorie count.




Overall, I’m glad I made this.  My family got to experience cabbage soup and it abolished some misconceptions that we all had about cabbage.

My family’s been so good about trying these healthy new things, I think I might treat them to a dessert next month.  Only time will tell.

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment