Monday, November 28, 2016

Elf on the Shelf Text Mesages




It’s that time of year again! That time when a special little visitor likes to visit homes with small children to relay back to Santa with naughty or nice reports.

Last year was a first for us.  I must say… It’s a lot of work, but so rewarding in the end.  Our elf helped all of us come together during the busy holiday season by bringing laughter, games, and even setting up an advent calendar made of children’s books so we read together every night.

It all started a couple weeks before Thanksgiving when I got a text message from Joyous Jolly Jingle.

**Reliable third party needed here. Change the name of one of your contacts, and have them send you periodic text messages.  Items needed: Elf, Photoshop, and a creative imagination.**

Every two or three days, a new message came.  It was the best one sided conversation ever!

“Hello family! Guess who.  Santa has heard rumors of you fighting and being naughty. He knows that you children are always on The Nice List, so he doesn’t believe it. To clear up this mix up once and for all, he is sending me to watch over you.  I’ll stay in your house and every night I’ll fly back to Santa to tell him if you were good or bad that day.  I’ll be there son, so you better be ready.”



“Hi everyone! Guess who again. I got a little lost, and I think I went too far south.  No worries, I’ll find my way to you soon.  I wanted to let you know that I’ve sent you something. It’s my gift to you, and I hope you like it. Read carefully and be sure to take good care of it. You never know when you might need it again.  Hurry, go and check your mailbox.”



This was fun because the text came through in an evening, and our mailbox is a half a mile away.  It was dark and cold outside, but we all put on coats over our pajamas and drove to the mailbox.  Can you guess what it was?  That’s right… the book!



“Where, oh where, has the little elf gone?  Where, oh where, could he be? It was a little cold where I was last, and on my way to you I found this warm and sunny place.  I decided to take a little pit stop and soak up some rays.  I’m so happy to be joining your family this Christmas, and I’m excited to find out my name.  Is it Pumpernickle?  Wisk? Flipperflop?  There are so many to choose from.  Pick a good one and I’ll see you soon.”



This text sparked a whole round of ideas.  Some good ones were thrown out, but my daughter blurted out Applejack, and we all fell in love with the name.

**It wasn’t until later that we learned that Applejack was the name of a pony from My Little Pony.  I will always remember this as the day that my little girl pulled one over on her brothers because if they would have known the origin, it would have been vetoed in a heartbeat.**

“Yay!!  This is SO much fun!!  It’s almost as fun as using my magic. I love my magic, so please PLEASE remember not to touch me when I get there.  It would make me so sad not to be able to tell Santa how good you kids are.  I gotta go, the funnel cake stand is calling to me.  Not too much longer till I’m home.”



Each text separately told the kids something important to remember.  That way they were ready when he got to our house.

“Happy Thanksgiving! I think I’m getting close!! Can you tell where I am? I can’t wait to see everyone and hear all your secret Christmas wishes.  I love lots of sugar, so keep a close eye on all your candy. Today, I am thankful for my new family.  Tell everyone what YOU are thankful for.”



The next day, he was in our lives playing tricks and bringing so much laughter to an already joyful home. 

Stay tuned for pictures of our adventures with Applejack.

Until next time…

Happy DIY-ing!!!

Original Photo Locations:

No comments:

Post a Comment